Why does Cocoon Data use dynamic watermarking?
Dynamic watermarking is unique to every collaborator who has access to a sensitive document, whereas traditional watermarks have an identifier which remains static when the document is shared. With traditional watermarks it’s hard to accurately identify the source if a document is leaked.
Because Cocoon Data uses dynamic watermarking it gives them the unique ability to apply a dynamic watermark for each individual collaborator who will have access to a sensitive document.
Cocoon Data’s Content Viewer protects and facilitates this dynamic watermark, discouraging collaborators from screen grabbing or taking a photo of content. And it also allows the administrator to accurately identify the source of the original leaked document.
How does Cocoon Data’s Content Viewer work?
- Cocoon Data’s watermark is dynamically created by the administrator of the document using the Content Viewer.
- Once enabled, the Content Viewer generates a unique detailed identity profile for every single collaborator who will be receiving the sensitive document
- This dynamic watermark is displayed on each collaborators screen, takes the form of a large semi-transparent text that consists of the following data:
- Email address of the currently signed-in collaborator viewing the file
- Cocoon Data Platform URL
- ID of the file/Secure Object
- The classification applied to the file by its owner (if applicable)
- Date/time when the file was viewed
- Because the collaborator is unable to remove or alter this semi-transparent text it discourages collaborators from screen grabbing or taking a photo of content and provides a real time and permanentdigital history of file viewing.
Example of dynamic watermarking with user data:
What file formats does the Cocoon Data content viewer support?
|Supported file formats (file name extensions)
|bmp, gif, jpeg, jpg, png
|Word processing/text documents
|doc, docx, html, mhtml, odt, ooxm, rtf, xhtml
|Documents with static content
|odp, pot, pyx, pps, ppsx, ppt, pptx
|csv, ods, xls, xlsb, xlsm, xlsx, xltm, xltx, xlxm
Want to experience the security of dynamic watermarking yourself?
You too can experience the security of dynamic watermarking by taking up the-no-obligations Cocoon Data trial.
Contact us to find out more.